Wednesday 14 January 2015

All Good Things Come To An End...

As the Eminem song goes, snap back to reality. And as the Nelly Furtado song goes, why do all good things come to an end? Before I start to sound like a whimsical reading of the UK Top 40, I'll get into the meaning behind this title...

As you all know, the Christmas holidays are well and truly over at this point. I have tried to use the excuse 'Christmas is only just over!' to validate still eating 40 chocolates for breakfast but everyone sees past this façade now. I returned to work on the 5th of January, partly dismayed and partly relieved. I get bored so easily and I was beginning to get cabin fever so I was thankful to get back to some sense of normality and routine. Somehow I think the 3am bedtimes and 2pm breakfasts weren't doing me an awful lot of good! 

Whenever I'd go back to work/college/school after the holidays it would always take me a while to get settled. The things I find the hardest to adjust to are:

Getting up early in the mornings. I value my sleep a lot, as anyone who has tried to wake me up early knows. I live for those extra 5 minutes in bed, so much so that recently I've decided to sacrifice looking socially acceptable for extra sleep. I may resemble a baked potato going into work now, but at least I'm slightly more refreshed!

Eating at weird times. I say weird; they're actually perfectly normal times to eat. Whereas before I'd have breakfast any time from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. now I have to actually eat my breakfast IN THE MORNING. The indecency of it all. If I'm going to work I get up at 8:30 a.m. and have something quick like a piece of fruit or a smoothie before I head out the door and then have something more substantial at our 10 a.m. tea break, but I find myself getting starving soon after as I'm used to eating whenever, wherever (who am I, Shakira?) and I now have to adjust to having lunch at 12:30 p.m. During the holidays I would've barely been awake then. Oops.

Writing and using the phone. Bit of a random one but you know when you were in school and after the summer holidays you'd come back and forget to write? Yeah, this is me. In fact, I forget to function in society like a normal human being. On my first day back it took every ounce of willpower to avoid answering the phone with 'What up?!' and I can't even explain the amount of times I wrote words in some mumbo jumbo backward kind of way.

Writing 2015 instead of 2014. We all have this problem. I don't even know what day it is anymore to be honest. I judge the days by how motivated people seem. If it's a Monday, everyone seems a little less enthusiastic and if it's a Friday there's a spring in everyone's step and you can practically smell the weekend in the air (the sweet smell of vodka and regret, mainly).


My heart is this cold.

Another thing I quickly wanted to address, mainly because my blog is like my diary and I like to get things off my chest, is that unfortunately the romance is no more. I did a blog in October-ish about my new relationship and I've had a few people ask how it's going so I just thought I'd briefly clear things up on here. I'm not looking for sympathy or attention - it was a clean break and it was simply because of distance, timing and some other issues that seemed unfixable. Thankfully there's no hard feelings (I hope) so I'm thankful it ended on a somewhat okay-ish note and I'm certain it's for the best. 

I do wonder sometimes if I'll ever be capable of maintaining a relationship but I have to remind myself I'm only 19. I'm so young and I have at least another 15 or so years before I'll lose hope and reside to a life of 40 cats and watching The Late Late Show in my dressing gown. Mind you, doesn't sound all that different to what I'm doing now...


2 comments:

  1. Enjoying reading your posts, Lucy; you have a great sense of humour. I had the pleasure of meeting your mom in the summer of 2013, and I also have a 19-year-old daughter. Yes, you are 'only 19'; this is an affirmation, not a put-down. You have lots of time to find that special someone, and I wish you well in that endeavor :)

    ReplyDelete