Monday 18 May 2015

Dodgy Dating

What is it with 'dating' (or as the kids are at nowadays, shifting/meeting)? It seems in this day and age, in Sligo, or just among my age group, it just doesn't exist. 

I seem to be stuck at that awkward age where anyone my age or just below/above is too young (mentally) and anyone 23+ is 'too old' and seems to think I'm a child. I also think where I live is a big problem - I've been informed by my mother there's 1 male to every 4 females in Sligo town. Oh, to have been born a lesbian or have an interest in joining the Convent! ;-)

A combination of being one of the only singletons among my friends, boredom and curiosity led me to download Tinder. For about a month or so it lay unopened on my app list, the red flame a glaring reminder of my single status. 

One fateful day I decided to have a peek at Tinder and see what all the fuss was about. I mostly swiped left because I was too shy/afraid to talk to an actual human but after a while I dipped my toes in and actually swiped right to a few people. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some nice lads on Tinder (who mostly haven't replied to me so maybe I just need a face/personality transplant) but there are also some odd characters. As follows, here are some of my main gripes about Tinder:

1. Group profile pictures.
But which one are you? I wouldn't consider myself a very shallow person but I do like to put a face to a name. For all I know you could be the 80 year old man in the picture. Or the baby. 

2. Boring descriptions.
'Snapchat imjohnnysligo add me'. I can barely contain my excitement. 

3. Accidentally swiping past someone attractive and/or interesting.
Then imagining everything that could've been. Ain't nobody gonna pay €7.38 per month to go back.

4. Attractive and/or interesting guys who live 105040 miles away.
CRY.

Saying all this, I will still continue to swipe away. Curiousity won't kill the cat in this instance, but the cat may end up screaming at its phone and wishing it swiped right.

Have you ever had any dodgy Tinder experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment