Tuesday 7 March 2017

Little Things: How To De-stress

I'm writing this at 2:30 a.m. after copious cups of coffee and 4 movies whilst waiting for my beau to return from the pub, because I am a chronic worrier and I can't sleep. Quite ironic when you consider the title of this blog.

Anyway, lately I've been thinking about being more ~mindful and learning how to manage my own stress. Exam season is approaching rapidly (too rapidly for my liking) so I think it's a good time to start finding ways to de-stress. I'm probably one of the most stressy people I know in the way that everything worries/stresses me out. But I'm trying to change that, even if it's just a little.

Earlier I stood on the balcony - which sounds fancy, but would be a lot fancier if it wasn't facing the apartment complex bins which are surrounded by stolen Lidl trolleys - and just watched the world go by, and it struck me how rarely I just stop. I'm always running around tidying or on my phone or cooking or in college, and it's not good for stress. So, without further ado, here are just a few tips on how to make your daily life just a bit more chill.

Do 1 different thing every week - and do it for you

During the week I went to the cinema with a friend, and I realised how little I actually do things like that. I've become a creature of habit since starting college, and I've noticed myself just coming home and doing the same things day in, day out. I didn't realise how therapeutic a break in the routine could be until I finally did it. It doesn't have to be the cinema with a friend - it could be buying yourself a nice top you've been eyeing up, getting your nails done (or doing them yourself and having a pamper night at home), or going to a cafĂ© you've always wanted to try. I find by just taking some time out from my usual day really peps me up. 

Keep a stress or anxiety diary

I'm no stranger to anxiety, having had it before myself and receiving CBT to combat it. I still suffer from anxiety sometimes - often in the quietest moments like when I'm washing up or trying to fall asleep. It can be a pain, but recently I read about anxiety diaries and how to make one. I chose a pretty notebook, wrote down everything I was anxious about, and what I could do (or was doing) to change it. After a few times using the diary I noticed a significant difference in how my brain handled negative thoughts. I suppose it's kind of like CBT in the way it trains your brain to think about situations differently. Either way, for me it's extremely helpful to have a vessel to cast my thoughts upon, and whenever I'm worried I open it and see all the positive things I'm doing to change my mindset. 





Try mindfulness

I know, it seems like 'mindfulness' is some kind of buzzwords people are using lately, but there's a lot to be said for it. Even something small like a mindful breathing exercise (try this website) can help. Sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep and my brain won't shut up, I just try and focus on each breath and suddenly I'm asleep. I've heard that yoga is also good for mindfulness but I'm about as flexible as a wooden plank so that's something I'll have to build up to.

One step at a time

If you have a lot to do and no idea where to begin, try bullet journaling - basically, write down everything you need to do and use symbols to prioritise them - what needs to be done today and what can wait? This can help you delegate your tasks and ease the load a little bit. I also like a method called the Pomodoro technique which is where you do a specific task - for example, tidying or studying - for 25 minutes and then stop for a break, then do another 25 minute burst. It really does make you get things done and it doesn't feel so arduous when it's only 25 minutes.

Listen

Music, whale sounds, those weird cooking videos where they emphasise the noises (they make me feel sick but some people love them) - whatever floats your audiological boat. I'd probably be sitting in bed listening out for every tiny little noise if I weren't playing music right now. My neighbours probably love me. Try and play happy music or mellow music instead of heavy metal or sad songs - unless that does de-stress you, in which case blast it! I like the Spotify 'chill' playlists so that I don't have to scramble to find a new song whenever my current one ends. 

So those are just a few tips on how to wind down when you feel overwhelmed - I hope this helped some of you out and hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment