Monday 6 October 2014

Get Up And Go: The Power Of Positivity

On Saturday I was invited along to the Get Up And Go event being held in the Clarion Hotel. I've never really been to an event where there's opportunity for networking as well as being able to watch some inspirational guest speakers so I felt quite special.

It was an early start - 8.30 a.m. - but seeing as we got stuck behind a tractor on the way (if you're not Irish you're probably wondering how this is a valid excuse - in Ireland, it is!) we arrived at around 9.00 a.m. The event was on until 4.30 p.m. so we also got treated to a coffee break and lunch - I have to say I got a bit too excited by the free sandwiches - a nice touch.

The event focuses on positivity, inspiration and motivation. I'd like to think I'm a fairly happy-go-lucky, glass half full person and I feel strongly about positive thinking and being around positive people. Negativity breeds negativity which I've learned from associating with a few negative minds - all they do is drag you down with them.

There were around 6 speakers at the event I believe (then again I did Foundation maths so I probably counted wrong) but I'm going to focus this post on my favourite speakers - most notably Norah Casey from the Irish Apprentice. It was really interesting to hear about her story.

I've watched Norah on the show and thought she seemed a bit of an 'Iron Lady' so to speak, a typical strong woman who seemed a bit intimidating, but watching her speak with honesty and integrity I realised she was very open and real. She spoke about her husband passing away and how it opened her eyes. I had a lot of respect for her being able to stand in front of a crowd and tell a heartbreaking story. She also interacted with the crowd so people from all walks of life got to tell their story which I found very interesting. Surprisingly a few people in the audience said they had left school at 16 - as did I - and have gone on to live an extremely happy and fulfilled life which is so inspiring to hear. 


Ooh look a motivational image!

 I have to be honest and say I didn't agree with one of Norah's points. She asked the audience to think about when everyone is at their happiness. To me the answer to that is subjective. For example, I'm at my happiest now, at this stage of my life. According to Norah you're at your happiest when you're in love. While I agree being in love can be one of the best things it can also be one of the worst and I don't think you have to be in love to live a happy life. Love can also be very destructive. (Ooh get me, I feel like Plato.) 

Another speaker that captured my attention was TeeJay Dowe from Talent Dynamics. Her stage presence and passion for working with young people was very inspiring. Again, I applauded her for how honest and upfront she was. The message of her story was that just because what you're doing is seen as a 'good job', no matter how high your salary or your grades it doesn't account for happiness - which I strongly agree with and stand for. As someone who has been snubbed for being an early school leaver I have to say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I did think at a few points she tarred every young person with the same brush, though. While I agree some young people in this generation have no spark left I don't think that stands for every single young person - but at the same time I admire her for wanting to change that.

All in all it was an interesting day and it did make me think (albeit disagreeing with a few of the points made but I'm only human) and it must've had some effect as today I cleared out the fridge and all the cupboards in the kitchen. How's that for motivation! ;-)

Thanks to all at Get Up And Go for inviting me along and for a well organised event. You can read my mum's account of the day here.


1 comment: