Saturday 13 December 2014

An Afternoon at Lough Erne Resort

Yesterday after work I headed up t'North to pay a visit to Lough Erne Resort. Lough Erne is a 5* hotel situated beside the beautiful Lough Erne (imagine that) renowned for its golf course. However, as I wouldn't know how to play golf if Rory McIlroy gave me a personal lesson, I went to try their Afternoon Tea and check out the spa (starting to think Afternoon Tea and a facial is my trademark 'thing').

As we perused the Afternoon Tea menu, mulling over the Pink Afternoon Tea (includes a glass of champagne and strawberries), Christmas Afternoon Tea and Chocolate Afternoon Tea, our waitress, Nuala, passed around tea leaf samples so we could test the aromas of each tea. All the tea samples were locked away in a little case - it was like the Pandora's Box of tea. Shortly after, we were brought our chosen tea and a funky hourglass to tell us when our tea was brewed. I chose a chai tea which tasted like Christmas in a mug and it was so comforting sipping my tea in front of the warm fire.

 Shortly after, our cake stands arrived. As there were three of us we got choose one Pink version, one Christmas version and one Chocolate version. Of course, me being me, I sampled bits and pieces from each version (and regretted not getting the chocolate one for myself!)

Each cake stand included 4 sandwiches, a scone and a variety of different petit fours and sweet treats. The chocolate desserts were delicious and I enjoyed most from the Christmas variation too - although I gave the mince pie and fruit cake a miss. My cake stand included a delicious clove butter shortbread, a salted caramal macaron, a white chocolate eggnog soup in a delicate marbled chocolate cup and a chocolate cherry yule log. As I don't like salmon I asked for different sandwiches and the staff were happy to oblige. The sandwiches included cucumber and cream cheese, baked glazed ham and coronation chicken. I do have to be honest and say some of the bread was a little stale which was a bit disappointing. I also would've liked a few more sandwiches and petit fours but the selection was quite filling regardless - although I did end up stealing mum's glass of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries.

After our feast we headed to the Thai Spa - an authentic Thai experience with Thai spa workers and massage techniques. I had a facial (of course) and my skin still looks and feels beautiful, the woman who tended to me was very gentle and made me feel very relaxed. 

After the facial my food had gone down so we decided to head to the bar and have a bite to eat. I chose 'glamburgers' - two miniature burgers - so cute and dainty. I also shared chocolate fondue with my mum as I couldn't resist. However, weirdly, the strawberries tasted a bit like garlic - I'm assuming a knife that was used to crush garlic was also used on the strawberries! Bit of added flavour I suppose.

So that's how my day at Lough Erne Resort went - check them out on Facebook here. If you're going for the Afternoon Tea I recommend the chocolate version (they also have a coeliac version for those with dietary requirements and a kids' version) and you should also check out the spa - the staff are so accommodating and friendly.

Thanks to all at Lough Erne for a lovely afternoon.

1 comment: