Sunday 8 March 2015

Sunny Days & Seaside Markets

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but I love markets. They're such a nice day out and a wonderful way to find unusual trinkets and gifts - not to mention the great atmosphere.

I've been to Strandhill People's Market quite a few times in the past but haven't been in a while. As I've spent all weekend bumming around the house in my pyjamas (standard) my mum dragged me out of the house and took me along with her. I didn't plan on buying anything but ended up buying too much...oops.

As well as the usual suspects (we had great banter with the ladies from Trimilawn Farm and Talentui Organics - they reassured me I wouldn't have to send off an application for a nunnery just yet) there were some faces I hadn't seen before such as Clo's Chocolates from Le Fournil bakery in Sligo and The Blue Room, who sell quirky signs and home décor - very seaside chic.


After I stole my mum's camera (sorry mum) and snapped away we got down to the nitty gritty and had a proper look. If I had a hefty bank balance and no self restraint you can bet I'd buy something from every stall! I managed to control myself quite well. I was very pleased I found a birthday present for my best friend Bethany - her birthday isn't until May but I'd like to think I'm well prepared now. 

I've heard a lot of good things about bee pollen as a superfood so I was delighted to see a stall selling jars of it, as well as every type of honey you could think of. I also stopped by the Trimilawn Farm stall and asked Ellie what she would recommend to make a chickpea curry. She suggested their Rogan Josh spice mix so I'm looking forward to giving that a go. I love Trimilawn Farm because not only do they have a huge selection of herbs and spices, they are also more than happy to recommend seasonings based on your needs. Mum got some potatoes to plant as she has a bit of a green finger (when she feels like it and doesn't forget plants need nurturing) so we'll see how that goes. Last time we tried to grow potatoes they came out the size of peas.

I also bought a cookie the size of my head from Clo's Chocolates stand which is very naughty of me but I gave half to my brother so I think it's justifiable. I was tempted by all the cakes, paella and the yummy sushi from the Sushi Sisters but I managed to resist!


That was just about everything I bought - as I said, I behaved myself for once. I was extremely tempted by these beautiful cake stands (below) and the elephant mug - elephants are my favourite animal, in case you didn't know this supah interesting fact.


The market has such a buzz about it every time - the sun was shining, the conversation was flowing, stalls were wafting delicious food smells all around and local singers were there to set the mood for the day.


When (if!) I ever get married I want to get one of these lovely wedding prints by Dreaming on a Star. Also, how cute are those badges?! I love their range of personalised prints and kitsch stationery. The unusual necklaces also caught my eye, I love the idea of the key necklace. Very Zoey 101 (remember that show? It was my childhood. I had a key necklace just like hers and I thought I was the bomb).

After inhaling a nacho tray from Streetcart - I smelled very onion-y and sexy all day after that - we headed home and said goodbye to the beauty and the buzz of the market.

If you haven't been to Strandhill People's Market yet - what are you waiting for?!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your take on the market Lucy....and one criteria of going to the market...one MUST taste the goodies.

    ReplyDelete