Tuesday 29 March 2016

Glorious Galway

Last weekend my boyfriend and I headed to Galway city for a day trip. We love going to new places as we both live out in the shticks and don't have enough money to go on holiday so our little weekend trips do the job. 

I'd only been to Galway once when I was about 10 so I didn't remember anything about it. My mum's parents are originally from Galway so she recommended a few places we should check out, including Salthill and the Spanish Arch. 

We set off from Athlone, which is only about an hour from Galway. Our first stop was the market, as I'd heard it can be good for quirky bits and food. I didn't find any nice food I could eat unfortunately, but it was still nice to have a look around!

After driving up and walking around the market we were starving. I'd researched Galway eateries before our trip in the hopes of finding a nice vegan/vegetarian one. I sent both Fat Freddy's and The Quay Street Kitchen a message asking about vegan options but neither replied despite reading my messages, which I find very bad in this day and age. Surely businesses should realise how important good social media repertoire is. Fat Freddy's lost out on my business for this reason and we went with The Quay Street Kitchen as they had great reviews for their menu choice.

We thought we'd have to book a table as it was busy but thankfully we were seated instantly. Sure enough, the menu was huge and they even had a specials board with plenty more choice. Options included falafel, soup, fish, meat, salads, burgers, tofu fish fingers and loads more. After some deliberation I chose the vegetable curry and Laurence chose a tofu burger with hummus and chips.

Our food arrived shortly and the portions were huge. My curry was served with a huge mound of rice and garnished with crunchy sweet potato curls. It was beautifully creamy and slightly sweet, full of chickpeas, sweet potato and broccoli, as well as heaps of other vegetables - absolutely delicious. I was so full I could barely finish it and had to get Laurence to help me! I also had a bite of Laurence's tofu burger. We both thought it was quite bland and they needed to marinate the tofu for longer, but we put some of my curry sauce into the burger which remedied it. Apart from that, the food was gorgeous and the choice was phenomenal. I also chanced my arm and asked for a dessert menu. I was so disappointed to see there were no dairy free desserts - until I turned over the menu and saw 2 vegan dessert options! It's such a treat for me to have dessert out. I ordered the hazelnut chocolate brownie which came warm served with vegan vanilla ice cream. Oh my God. It was absolutely divine, I'm drooling thinking about it now. I definitely waddled out of The Quay Street Kitchen! All in all we had a fantastic meal, we both said we'd 100% go back there.


After our meal we wandered around Galway, went to the Spanish Arch and looked in some of the shops. We walked round the Latin Quarter and listened to some of the talented buskers. We loved the Evergreen Health Food shop, it's just a shame I didn't have the money to splurge in there! Before heading home we decided to get a milkshake from Shake in the shopping centre as they offer soya milk and soya ice cream for dairy free milkshakes, so I got an Oreo milkshake which was gorgeous. We also decided to get some Mexican food to take home with us so we went to Tuco's for some tacos and burritos. Oink oink. The food was nice but we had to clarify several times with the staff what we wanted in our food so I think we'd go to Boojum next time.

All in all it was a lovely day out and I'd love to go back when I have more money and less tight trousers! Thanks for reading as usual - hope you all had a nice Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment