Monday 30 October 2017

Boo! Quick, Easy Halloween Treats (No Tricks)

Once again, apologies for my long absence. I've been going through a disheartened spell where I haven't been motivated to blog. Combined with being in my second year of college, and battling depression, it's hard to find the time and energy sometimes. However, I'm feeling a lot better recently and am looking forward to getting back into blogging!

Seeing as Halloween is tomorrow (where has this year gone?!) I decided to make a few quick, easy nibbles for if you've forgotten all about Halloween or don't have time to put on a massive spread. Most of these recipes are pretty healthy too so it's a win-win! Note: I'm no Nigella Lawson and am aware some of these snacks look like I was blindfolded whilst making them, but I tried my best. You can play around with the execution of these snacks and do what you want with them - I'm sure you're all a lot more creative than I am!

I had a quick look through Pinterest to get some inspiration but kind of added my own flair to these. I also asked my lovely boyfriend, Laurence, for some ideas as he's pretty good with this sort of thing. So, without further ado, here we go!


1. Halloween Nibble Platter
Cocktail Sausage 'Rotten Fingers' - this one is easy. Simply get some (cooked, unless you hate your guests) cocktail sausages - I used Quorn ones as I'm veggie but you can use any ones you want - dab some ketchup on the top of them to look like blood, and add a pumpkin seed to each tip. Alternatively, you can use flaked almonds to give the look of nails, but I didn't have any so I improvised. Voila!

Babybel Eyeball/Pumpkin - get Babybels. For the pumpkin, just carve out eyes and a mouth with a small sharp knife. For the eyeball, cut out a tiny circular piece of Babybel from the middle. Slice an olive and take one of the little olive rings. Place the olive ring in the middle of the Babybel over the hole you cut out, put the circle you cut out on top of the olive ring and add some black food colouring to make it look like a pupil. I dabbed some ketchup around the 'eyeball' to give the illusion of bloodshot eyes.

Devilish Eggs - Hard boil some eggs. Leave them to cool, or if you're lazy like I am, run cold water over them until they've cooled down. Tap and roll them once on the kitchen counter so the shell peels off easily. Peel them, slice in half lengthways, and scoop out the yolk. You can mix the yolk with mayonnaise or just fill them with mayonnaise, hummus or even guacamole. I don't like hard yolks so I just filled mine with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with paprika. Get a red chilli pepper and cut out little devil horn shapes. Stick the horns into the mayonnaise in the middle of the egg. Don't do what I did and slice the chilli pepper and then go to the toilet, unless you're into that kind of thing.

Severed String Cheese Fingers - Get a Cheesestring or any peelable cheese. Cut it in two halves. Slightly peel the bottom of it so it looks like it's been cut off. Get a knife and slightly round off the top so it looks more like a finger shape. Dab a bit of ketchup at the top and bottom to make it look bloody. Again, add a pumpkin seed or flaked almond for fingernails.


2. Crunchy Chocolate Apples
Use your favourite apple (I used Pink Lady apples as they're my fave). Melt chocolate of your choice - I used some popping candy milk chocolate and a couple of peanut butter cups. Melt the chocolate either in a heatproof bowl over a small pot of simmering water, or in the microwave - just make sure you take it out every few seconds and stir so it doesn't burn. Coat the apple in the melted chocolate and put on a tray. You can also stick a gummy worm to it if you want to make it look a bit funkier. Leave the apples to cool until the chocolate is set and dig in! I didn't have any wooden skewers or sticks to put in them but if you do you can just stab one through the apple before coating with chocolate.

So that's it! Like I said, they're really simple snacks and they don't take long at all to make. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go shove my face in the bowl of leftover melted chocolate and throw away those damn chilli peppers.

Until next time - have a good Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment