Sunday 10 December 2017

Love Local: Irish Christmas Gift Ideas

I'm one of those people who gets panicked when I don't have my Christmas shopping done in like, July. I'm terrible for wanting to be overly organised to make sure everything is done in time for Christmas. I end up buying loads of stuff I forget I've even bought. However, this year is different. Since going to college and moving out, obviously funds have been more limited, so I haven't had the opportunity to get my shopping done early. Finally, though, I have some money in da bank so I can start getting everything done - yay! 

Some of my favourite types of gift to receive and to give other people are quirky, unusual gifts that I know the person will really appreciate. Bonus points if they're Irish made. I love a gawk in Penneys as much as the next gal but sometimes you want something that little bit special and different. Of course, it's great to support local designers and businesses, some of them don't get the exposure and love they deserve. Here are just a few ideas of gifts from Irish creators and businesses. I've tried to include presents for every budget, as well as different tastes, hobbies and personalities. Enjoy!

For The Foodie
1. Kate's Kitchen Voucher 2. Ostá Hamper 3. Eala Bhán Afternoon Tea

Kate's Kitchen do amazing food and gifts for foodies, so a voucher for their shop would be perfect for anyone in your life who likes the finer things in life. Similarly, Ostá have a wide range of lovely nibbles, drinks and edible gifts (and they do great food) - all of which would make a beautiful hamper. For something that little bit special, a voucher for afternoon tea in Eala Bhán is sure to wow whoever receives it. I've had the afternoon tea there twice now so believe me when I say it is outstanding!



For Him
1. Flying Lesson 2. Looney Creations 3. Home Brew West Voucher

A flying lesson at Sligo Airport in Strandhill is a really quirky gift for the thrillseeker in your life. Not many people can say they've flown a plane! Looney Creations have a pop-up shop beside Ostá in Sligo or they're also on Facebook. They do special personalised coasters, slates and plectrum necklaces with song lyrics on, which I love. For another quirky idea, why not get that special someone a voucher for Home Brew West? They're based in Galway but have an online shop, so whoever you get the voucher for could pick out some at-home brewing kits to make their own booze, which is pretty cool! Obviously these gifts aren't just for him, they're for anyone who likes something a bit different.



For Her
1. Martina Hamilton/Triona Jewellery 2. Voya Seaweed Bath 3. Lorna Watkins Studio Near The Sea Voucher

I just love Martina Hamilton's jewellery - it's so beautiful and elegant but also unique in its designs. These shell inspired earrings are gorgeous and so simple, just one of many of her seaside themed pieces. Tríona (also known as Modafix!) has recently designed her own nature inspired jewellery collection also - I just love this cloud outline rose gold necklace. So pretty. For those with a creative flair, a voucher for Lorna Watkins' studio near the sea is a great idea and can be used on Lorna's classes or online shop. And last but not least, you can't go wrong with a seaweed bath. Voya in Strandhill do heavenly seaweed baths - and bonus points if you treat the person to lunch in Shells café afterwards!



For The Little Ones
1. Sligo On Ice Voucher 2. Shells Little Shop 3. Liber Bookshop Voucher

I couldn't leave out the little ones now, could I? If you're looking for something other than the latest toy in Smyths, why not try taking them to Sligo On Ice so they can try their hand at some ice skating? Or, pop into Shells Little Shop in Strandhill and check out their variety of gifts for all ages - they have some really gorgeous things there. For the book obsessed, Liber Bookshop in Sligo has a great selection of books, stationery and cute notebooks, so there's something for everyone.



So those are just a few local gift ideas from some of my favourite places. I'd be thrilled myself to receive any of them for Christmas! Hopefully this was helpful for some of you who are at a loss and looking for something special. Thanks for reading!

Thanks to Val Robus aka magnumlady aka my mum for some of the pictures on this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment