Friday 31 October 2014

Carving & Crying

Don't worry, this blog isn't gonna be as gory as the title sounds!

On Wednesday night I got the opportunity to go along to Shells pumpkin carving event. I'd never heard of it before but apparently this was their 4th and it's a very successful night every year. It was my first time having a go at properly carving a pumpkin (I'm more of a Christmas girl) but I'm the most competitive person ever so I marched in there, knives at the ready, one step away from yelling a war cry.

Upon arrival we were offered a drink - I chose a hot apple brandy and it was just perfect for the chilly Autumn night. We were also served a taster of Shells pumpkin broth. I've never been a huge pumpkin fan because it's one of those nondescript vegetables that you don't really know what to do with and it smells a bit like farts but I have to say, Shells pumpkin treats totally changed my mind. 

The cafĂ© was beautifully decorated as usual: paper bats were scattered across the wall and witch hats and candles set the mood for the evening. Two tables were set out laden with pumpkins and craft supplies to use for your creation. I was very impressed with how organised it was. 

After some mingling it was time for the real fun to start. We got 45 minutes (and I spent half of that time fecking the innards out of the pumpkin and removing bits from my hair/mouth/underwear) to carve our pumpkins. Throughout the carving we were served plates of pumpkin goodies - pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin risotto balls which were unbelievably tasty, pumpkin fritter, pumpkin samosa and finally, pumpkin pie and pumpkin brownies. I was getting so into my carving I couldn't eat much! 

When we were all finished carving all our pumpkins were lined up and the lights were switched off so we could see our glowing creations in all their glory. Some people's pumpkins were amazing so I knew I wouldn't win but I was still disappointed when I didn't - I'm a bit of a sore loser! I was expecting to go in and somehow magically carve the Mona Lisa into mine but it didn't happen. Here's my attempt (attempt being the operative word) below on the bottom right - it's an owl. Sorta.

When we left I picked a chunk off my pumpkin and fecked it across the carpark because it let me down. You know that scene in The Inbetweeners where Simon gets dumped and he puts on a happy face until he gets into his room and starts wailing? That was basically me.

All in all it was a great evening, so much fun and something a bit different for Halloween! I highly recommend it if you're looking for a group activity. Participation fee is €25 but considering you get fed and watered it's very reasonable in my opinion - plus you get to keep the pumpkin!

Thanks to Shells for a wonderful evening. Let me know how you're spending your Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment