Friday 13 February 2015

Hagelslag & Sandwich Willy: My Holland Holiday

You may be scratching your head at the title. Fear not, dear reader, this is not 50 Shades of Dutch. Hagelslag are Dutch sprinkles of some sort that you put on toast and apparently they taste like magic and rainbows and Sandwich Willy is a very popular lunchroom in Eindhoven. I'm actually 12 years old and had a good old titter at the name. Thankfully they just served regular sandwiches, nothing of the rudey sort.

As I mentioned in my last blog, I was off to Holland with my mum and brother. I spent 3 days in Eindhoven, a fairly small city located about 2 hours from Amsterdam. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to check out 'the Dam' as they say but we had a great time staying around central Eindhoven.

Things easy to find in Eindhoven:
Attractive blonde haired blue eyed fellows with good bone structure.
Bicycles.
Inappropriate shop names.
Sausages.

Things hard to find in Eindhoven:
Supermarkets.
Clogs.
Someone who doesn't own a bicycle.

When we arrived we flew into Eindhoven airport (after I nearly killed a Dutch guy with my suitcase obv) so our hotel was supposedly only a 15 minute bus trip away. Unfortunately we (*cough* mum) neglected to research directions properly and ended up wandering around lost for eons. At least 2 friendly Dutchians told us 'I think that address is in Amsterdam', causing us to act mildly hysterical wondering if we'd booked a hotel 2 hours away by accident. In the end we gave up and got a taxi to the hotel which, as it turns out, was literally around the corner. Oh dear.


When we arrived to the hotel (after a lot of oohing and aahhing at the decor) we headed straight for the free drinks machine - after another titter at a beverage called Wiener Melange. As I said, I'm 12. 

Fourteen hot chocolates later - if you'd have cut me I'd have bled hot chocolate - we decided to head out and have a sneaky look at the four storey (!!!) Primark. I made a mental list of what I wanted - not much, just half the store - and decided the next day would be the designated shopping day of the trip.

After a fitful sleep listening to mum snoring in my ear it was time to hit the shops. As we walked down the cobblestoned streets a few strange/wonderful things happened. Number one, I nearly got ran over by a bike. Multiple times. Number two, I nearly got ran over by some sort of vehicle that housed an array of dancing/singing puppet things. It played the Macarena. I don't really know either. I assume this is a totally normal thing that happens on a daily basis because no one batted an eyelid. Me and mum stood and watched, entranced like when Donkey and Shrek watch that puppet show in Doolock.

After the street show it was time for breakfast. We popped into a bakery and tried to make sense of some of the pastries for sale but in the end gave up. Thankfully everyone we met in Eindhoven spoke English so we ended up with something edible and didn't have to face a lucky dip while ordering! Although I did scratch my head at the hot food vending machines that served burgers, sausages and something which was essentially a Findus Crispy Pancake...


We perused some of the shops - I found the shopping great in Eindhoven - and I tried to be good as I knew I'd see a lot in Primark I wanted to buy. After reading some of the interesting shop names (Lingerie Dump, Scamm, Dubledikk to name a few) we decided to face Primark. As it was a Saturday afternoon of course it was jammed. But I am a strong independent woman so I rolled my sleeves up and devised a plan of action with my mum as my handy sidekick. I nearly rolled across the floor like a Bond girl at one point in the shoe section but managed to control myself.

After each section was covered I yelled 'MOVE ON TEAM' and charged on to the next area. An hour and a half and a lighter purse later, we headed back to the hotel to refuel before heading back out to explore again. I managed to refrain from buying too much in other shops as I was conscious of my tiny pitiful cabin luggage (curse you, Ryanair) but I got a few nice bits which I will do a haul post on.


That night we went for a nice meal in an Italian place (yeah, go to Holland, eat Italian. Standard) called Happy Italy. We didn't realise quite how popular the place was, however, and proceeded to wait 30 minutes in a very long queue. In the end, it was so worth it. Mum got a pizza twice the size of her head for €6.25 and I got a huge bowl of pasta for €6.75. Us being fatties we also had to try the Nutella pizza - so wrong yet so right ;-)


The next day, after nearly having a heart attack at the price of the train, we headed on our merry way to a safari park about an hour away. When we arrived we queued to get on the safari bus and just about managed to get the last two seats. The bus drove through some of the enclosures so the animals were coming up to the bus. Unfortunately I could only take phone pictures so I didn't get any good shots. The girl driving the bus made an attempt to translate everything to English but sort of gave up halfway through so I guess I'll never know the interesting facts she was reciting about camels. But alas, I shan't get the hump over it. *ba dum tiss*

For the rest of the park we walked through. I think we may have missed some of the animals as I didn't see any giraffes or elephants (apart from myself in the mirror after that Nutella pizza). As we had to catch a bus - and the bus only came every hour - we ran to the exit and actually ended up on the side of the motorway by accident. Luckily we made it to the bus stop in time. Actually, we made it to the bus stop so early I thought we'd be stranded at the side of a barren road in Holland and have to attempt to thumb a lift in Dutch!

We were going to head out for a few drinks but we were so shattered at the end of the day we decided to buy some goodies and a bottle of wine and have a picnic in our hotel room. We made the fatal error of buying potato salad but forgot to get cutlery. Luckily hotel reception gave us some and I didn't have to use my nose as a spoon! 

Sadly the next day it was time to travel home. After frantically mounting my suitcase in an attempt to fit everything in (and putting on about 14 outfits to save space - I did wonder if I could wear a pair of shoes on my hands) we caught the bus back to the airport and hung around. I successfully ordered a Starbucks (no mean feat even in Ireland) and to my delight found out they do peanut butter stack - not the healthiest breakfast but I was on me holidays ;-)

After very attractively falling asleep with my mouth open on the plane we touched back down in Dublin and began our 3 hour train trip back home. I absolutely loved my Holland trip but would've liked to be there for longer so we could do more. The people were so friendly, I'd actually say it's the friendliest country I've been to beside Spain. I also thought the prices and shopping were great and loved the infrastructure and design of Eindhoven.

Holland, hopefully I will see you again!

Are you going on holiday anywhere this year? Let me know!






2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Lucy! I really enjoyed reading it. It is very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post lucy, blonde hair & blue eyed fellas? Sign me up for the next flight to Holland ;)

    ReplyDelete