Sunday 7 June 2015

Food, Glorious Food: Knox & The Draft House

Do you ever have those days where you feel like all you've done is eat? I had this on Friday. After work I headed along to the newly opened Knox café/restaurant in Sligo to meet my friend AJ for lunch. Usually we go to the Swagman but recently we've decided to switch things up and try different places, which I have to say I enjoy! Change is good.

When we first arrived at Knox we immediately noticed how busy it was and expected to wait for a table. Luckily we managed to nab a seat just as 2 people were leaving. After an awkward moment of having to get AJ to squeeze past the table to sit in at the wall because my booty was not about to attempt to do that, we were quickly brought some menus by the lovely staff. I will admit I got a little bit too excited upon seeing sweet potato fries on the menu - I don't know of anywhere else in Sligo that offers these and they're a favourite of mine.



It didn't take long for AJ and I to decide what we wanted. We both went for the chicken burger, served on a bun with homemade ketchup and guacamole, with sweet potato fries, homemade coleslaw and lettuce on the side. I opted for mine without the ketchup as I'm not about that life but I did try a teeny bit of AJ's and for ketchup it was pretty nice!

After a lengthy discussion about first world problems and everything else under the sun we were pleasantly full from our lunch. The food was absolutely delicious - tasty, fresh and not stodgy like other burgers and chips. I loved how this was a healthier option while still feeling like a treat and I didn't feel uncomfortably full after. 

We took a stroll to Lidl to get dessert (aka a cookie from the bakery) then headed up to the Model for the free food - I mean, to support my mum after her drama play. Tea, coffee, sandwiches, wraps and mini cakes were being served and we all sat together for a chat and (another) bite to eat. It was free, it would've been rude not to.

We said goodbye to AJ and then headed off to Strandhill. My brother and I went to The Draft House while mum had a meal in Trá Bán. I'm delighted I got to try The Draft House after missing it the last time I went to Strandhill (read about that). As I was still full from grazing all day I just chose the soup and Jono went for the chicken wings, a favourite of his. The portions were plentiful and the staff were very pleasant. I also enjoyed the décor and ambience of the place, I bet it's a great place for a few pints. Jono enjoyed his chicken wings and said they were tasty. My soup wasn't the most flavourful if I'm being honest but as it was only soup and the place is new I won't hold it against them! I saw some of the other items on the menu coming out and they looked superb.



After our food it was back into town to pop into Iníon Veigh for their opening. There was a delicious looking array of food and wine on offer but I was beginning to waddle from everything I'd eaten so I politely declined. Iníon Veigh is a craft and jewellery shop in Sligo and they have the most unusual beautiful things. I was so tempted by a leaf ear cuff and an awesome dragon ring with sapphire eyes but I managed to resist!

After a long day we were so happy to get home and relax a bit. Eating all day really takes it out of you!

P.S make sure to check out my friend AJ's great new blog here. How cool is the name?

Hope you enjoyed this blog. Have you eaten anywhere new lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment